ORION Motion Controller Family
Note: The ORION family is fully supported and in production. A re-engineered processor is available for controller upgrades. For new applications, SMLC Motion Controllers are recommended.
ORION motion controllers offer an industrial PC-based platform for multi-axis motion control including servos, machine I/O, Human-Machine Interfaces (HMIs) and connectivity.
- All-Digital - Scalable System Architecture
- IEEE 1394 - Digital drive network
- Industrial PC Based Controller - Pentium powered with up to 32 axis of control
- Flash RAM MotionBASIC System Card - available for memory card and communications
- Integral digital I/O - variety of flexible options for I/O expansion
- TCP/IP - Communications support serial connections
- DSP Based Axis Control - ServoWire Axis Module controls 1 to 8 axes
- MotionDesk - is a Windows compatible (supports XP mode of Windows 7) integrated development environment for motion control
With industry-standard PC hardware (motherboards and Ethernet adapters) and open standards (IEEE-1394, PC Cards and TCP/IP) value is created for you. ORION controllers and the ServoWire Drive Network provide state-of-the-art automation and motion control for up to 32 axes -- and provide solutions for interfacing servos with machine I/O, HMI & connectivity requirements. ORIONs are used in a wide range of industrial and aerospace markets including packaging, converting, labeling, web & material handling, medical, pharmaceutical, general assembly and winding.
ORION software loads and runs from the MotionBASIC System Card. Both the MotionBASIC real-time operating system and user application software are stored on the Flash RAM PC Card. As user applications are developed, program modules, supporting files (e.g., touchscreen panels) and configuration files are loaded on the PC Card. Since all the software for the system is on the Flash Card, users can deploy, monitor and upgrade software worldwide (including operator adjustments) --- via a remote TCP/IP link or by changing the PC card at the machine location. ORMEC provides a suite of software tools to create, manage and maintain motion control projects.
Standard factory networks and PC-based hardware solutions create factory connectivity options. ORION not only supports standard PC hardware, but also provides the software connectivity to simplify communications in your application. Standard Ethernet factory network protocols and a variety of field buses provide connectivity. MotionBASIC Extensions (MBXs) provide connectivity for Allen-Bradley Ethernet and Modbus TCP communications. Using standard Ethernet hardware -- an ISA bus or PC Card adapter -- A-B Ethernet or Modbus TCP communications provides an inexpensive, fast connectivity solution.